information anywhere on the Gateway2China web site and beyond ...
Society and Culture
- Mandarintools: Western-Chinese Calendar Converter, Converts between the traditional Chinese lunar calendar and the Western calendar.
- Ron Gluckman, Articles on various aspects of the country by a Hong Kong-based reporter.
- The Theory of Chinese Lunar Calendar, Includes leap lunar month and the difference between astronomical calendar and civil calendar.
- LunarCal, Charityware program which calculates the dates of major Chinese festivals for the years 1900-2060.
- East West Dialogue, Essays on aspects of Chinese and Western history and philosophy, focusing on their shared features. By Robert Trout.
- Chinese Lunar Calendar - Astronomical Programming, Discussion of the relationship between the Chinese and Western calendars, with related data.
- Chinese Wedding Customs, Information on traditional and contemporary practices in China and Hong Kong.
- Ling Lung Women's Magazine 1931 to 1937, Digitized images of nearly all issues of this magazine which was published (in Chinese) in Shanghai in the 1930s. Featured articles on fashion, interior decoration, pop psychology, and new careers; and also advice columns on love, sex, and marriage, as well as lavish illustrations of local and Hollywood celebrities.
- United Nations Development Programme: China, UN mission to assist China in developing solutions to the country's development challenges and improving society by reducing poverty, strengthening rule of law, promoting environmental sustainability, and fighting HIV/AIDS.